Are you looking for a new, delicious treat to impress your family and friends? Look no further than the Buckeyes Candy recipe! This classic candy combines creamy peanut butter, rich chocolate, and a touch of sugar for a delightful, sweet treat. With their unique texture and irresistible flavor, Buckeyes are sure to become a new favorite in your household.
What is Buckeyes Candy?
Buckeyes are a popular sweet treat made from peanut butter and chocolate. They are typically made by shaping peanut butter into balls, dipping them into melted chocolate, and allowing them to cool.
Buckeyes have a soft, creamy center with a hard chocolate shell, and they are often served as a dessert. The peanut butter filling is rich and sweet, while the chocolate adds a touch of bitterness.
They are commonly enjoyed during the holiday season but can be enjoyed all year round. Buckeyes are calorie-dense and high in fat, so they should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Why are They Called Buckeyes?
Buckeyes are named after the nut of the Ohio Buckeye tree, which is native to the state of Ohio. The shape and color of the Buckeyes candy, with a dark chocolate exterior and lighter peanut butter filling, resembles the appearance of a Buckeye nut. This similarity has led to the candy being named Buckeyes, and it has become a popular treat in Ohio and beyond.
Nutrient facts: Buckeyes Candy Recipe
Buckeyes are a type of candy made from peanut butter and chocolate that is typically consumed as a treat. The exact nutritional information will vary depending on the recipe, but a typical serving size of 2 pieces (30g) may contain the following approximate nutrients:
- Calories: 170
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 80mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 15g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 11g
- Protein: 4g
It is important to note that Buckeyes are a high-calorie, high-fat treat and should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Ingredients and Instructions for Preparing Buckeyes Candy Recipe
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Roll the mixture of the buckeyes candy recipe into 1-inch balls and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Make a hole in the middle of each ball with a toothpick.
- The peanut butter balls should be chilled in the freezer for at least half an hour.
- In a separate, heat-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening together in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until completely smooth.
- Dip the peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate, covering the entire surface.
- Allow the excess chocolate to drip off, then place the coated Buckeyes back onto the lined baking sheet.
- Let the Buckeyes cool completely until the chocolate is set.
- Serve and enjoy!
Pro tips for Making Buckeyes Candy Recipe
Here are some pro tips to make the perfect Buckeyes Candy:
- Use creamy peanut butter instead of crunchy peanut butter for a smooth texture.
- Soften the butter to room temperature to ensure it mixes well with the other ingredients.
- Make sure the peanut butter balls are well-frozen before dipping them in the melted chocolate.
- Use a toothpick to make an indentation in the center of each ball, which helps the chocolate stick to the peanut butter filling better.
- Use high-quality chocolate chips and vegetable shortening for a rich and smooth chocolate coating.
- Let the excess chocolate drip off the Buckeyes before placing them back on the baking sheet.
- Store the Buckeyes in an airtight container in the refrigerator to maintain their freshness.
- Experiment with different flavors, such as adding cocoa powder to the peanut butter mixture or using dark chocolate instead of semisweet chocolate.
How to Store Buckeye Candies?
Buckeyes are best kept refrigerated in an airtight container. The chocolate coating can melt if the candy is left out at room temperature, so it’s important to store it in a cool place.
The peanut butter filling can also become soft and lose its texture if left out, so refrigeration is recommended.
It’s also a good idea to separate the layers of Buckeyes with wax paper or parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together. This will ensure that the candies maintain their individual shapes and appearance.
Buckeyes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, but they are best enjoyed within the first 3-4 days for maximum freshness. You can also freeze Buckeyes for up to 2 months, but make sure to store them in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn.
When you’re ready to enjoy them, simply take them out of the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Why Should We Try the Buckeye Candy Recipe?
There are several reasons why you should try making Buckeyes Candy:
- It’s a fun and easy recipe that’s perfect for people of all skill levels, from beginner to experienced.
- It’s a great way to get creative in the kitchen and experiment with different flavors and ingredients.
- Homemade candy is often healthier than store-bought candy because you can control the quality and amount of ingredients used.
- Buckeyes make a great gift for friends, family, and coworkers, and they are unique and thoughtful presents for any occasion.
- The process of making Buckeyes can be a fun and rewarding activity to do with kids or friends, and it’s a great way to bond and create memories.
- Finally, Buckeyes are simply delicious! The combination of creamy peanut butter and rich chocolate is hard to resist and makes for a satisfying and indulgent treat.
Making Buckeyes is a simple and fun process that can be enjoyed by candy makers of all levels. Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat for yourself or a special gift for someone you love, Buckeyes are sure to impress.
This delicious buckeyes candy recipe is perfect for holidays, birthdays, or any special occasion. So why wait? Grab your ingredients and start making your own Buckeyes today!