In this article, we will learn what can you make with quinoa. Quinoa is a nutritious seed. It can be added to many dishes. Therefore, we will know about the nutritional values of quinoa. As well as some dishes that you can make with quinoa. Therefore, keep reading this article and get the desired knowledge about quinoa. Let’s start by knowing what quinoa is.
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a grain originating in the Andean region of South America. It has become rapidly popular in recent years because of its nutritional value and versatility in cooking.
Quinoa is a seed, not a cereal grain like wheat or rice. It is gluten-free and is a good source of fiber and protein. Also, it contains many essential vitamins and minerals. Quinoa is also rich in antioxidants that help protect the body against damage that is from harmful molecules known as free radicals.
In cooking, quinoa can be used as a substitute for rice or pasta, and it can be prepared in various ways. It has a little bit of nutty flavor and a chewy texture. Quinoa can be boiled, steamed, or roasted and is mostly used in salads, stir-fries, and soups. It also comes in different colors, including white, red, and black, which can add variety and visual interest to your dishes.
What are the nutritional values of quinoa?
Before checking what can you make with quinoa, it is important to know quinoa’s nutrient value. Quinoa is also considered a superfood because it is packed with nutrients. Here is the nutritional value of 1 cup (185 grams) of cooked quinoa:
- Calories: 222
- Carbohydrates: 39 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI (Recommended Daily Intake)
- Manganese: 78% of the RDI
- Phosphorus: 28% of the RDI
- Folate: 19% of the RDI
- Copper: 18% of the RDI
- Iron: 15% of the RDI
- Zinc: 13% of the RDI
- Potassium: 9% of the RDI
- Vitamins B1, B2, and B6: between 10-12% of the RDI
Quinoa is also a complete protein. It means it contains all nine essential amino acids that are essential for the body to build and repair tissues. It is also gluten-free, that makes it a great alternative for people with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease. Quinoa is a nutrient-dense food that can be a great addition to a healthy and balanced diet.
What Can You Make With Quinoa?
Quinoa is a versatile ingredient used in various dishes, from breakfast to dinner and even in desserts. Here are some ideas for what can you make with quinoa:
- For a delicious and nutritious salad, combine cooked quinoa with fresh vegetables, herbs, and a flavorful dressing.
- Quinoa bowl: Create a bowl with quinoa as the base and add toppings such as roasted vegetables, avocado, chicken, and a flavorful sauce.
- Quinoa stuffed peppers: Stuff bell peppers with cooked quinoa, vegetables, and cheese, and bake until tender.
- Quinoa breakfast bowl: Use quinoa as a base for a hearty breakfast bowl topped with yogurt, fruit, and nuts.
- Quinoa soup: Add cooked quinoa to vegetable or chicken soup for protein and texture.
- Quinoa burgers: Mix cooked quinoa with vegetables, breadcrumbs, and spices to make vegetarian burgers.
- Quinoa stir-fry: Use quinoa instead of rice in a stir-fry with vegetables and your choice of protein.
- Quinoa pudding: Combine cooked quinoa with milk, honey, and vanilla extract for a nutritious and delicious dessert.
These are just a few ideas for what you can make with quinoa. The possibilities are endless, so experiment with different flavors and also ingredient combinations to find your favorite dishes.
How do you make quinoa soup?
- One cup quinoa
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- One onion, diced
- Three garlic cloves minced
- Two celery stalks, diced
- Two carrots, diced
- One teaspoon of ground cumin
- One teaspoon of ground coriander
- One teaspoon paprika
- One teaspoon of dried oregano
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water and set aside.
- Warm the olive oil in a big pot over medium heat for some time. Then add some onions and garlic and cook them until they are softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add the celery along with carrots and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to low. Then cover the pot, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or till the quinoa is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the soup into bowls and also garnish with fresh chopped parsley or cilantro.
This recipe (suggested for what can you make with quinoa) is vegetarian, but you can easily make it with chicken broth and add cooked chicken for added protein. You can also customize the vegetables and spices to your liking.
How do I add quinoa to regular dishes?
Quinoa is a versatile ingredient. It can be added to many regular dishes to increase their nutritional value. Here are some ideas:
- Add quinoa to soups and stews: Cooked quinoa can also be added to any of the soups and stews for added texture and protein.
- Use quinoa instead of rice: Cooked quinoa can substitute for rice in dishes such as stir-fries, risotto, and burrito bowls.
- Add quinoa to salads: Cooked quinoa can be added to green salads or grain salads for added protein and texture.
- Mix quinoa into burger patties: Cooked quinoa can be mixed into ground meat or vegetarian burger patties to add nutritional value and texture.
- Use quinoa as a stuffing: Cooked quinoa can be used for vegetables such as peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- Add quinoa to baked goods: Quinoa flour can be used in baked goods such as bread, muffins, and cakes for added nutrition and a nutty flavor.
- Make quinoa porridge: Cooked quinoa can make a hearty and nutritious breakfast by adding milk, honey, and fruit.
These are just a few ideas for how to add quinoa to regular dishes. Experiment with different recipes and see what can you make with quinoa.
In this article, we learn what can you make with quinoa. We learned about the nutritional value of quinoa and what we can prepare with quinoa. And also a simple recipe for quinoa soup. The dishes prepared with quinoa are limitless. You need to keep experimenting. Therefore, let’s end it here. If you have any queries, please post them to us. We will be more than happy to help you out. Till then, please read our other articles, and enjoy.